Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sikh, Christianity and Peanut Butter Cookies

 Okay... Those two crazy ladies are here... Finally! They're a little slow but they're warm hearted, smart and funny.


Our first question comes from Wafiya from Surrey:


I hear you guys are great cooks...

It's my turn to bring snacks for the book club I belong to...One of the guys there is really cute and I need the perfect cookie recipe to impress him with. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach right? Can you guys help? 
Oh yea, there's one other little thing I need help with...
He is Sikh, and I grew up in a Christian home... he says it's a lot like following Christ? But, I don't think so.  I'm really shy and I feel uncomfortable talking about religion. Sometimes I think he's trying to convert me or something... But, I really like him and I think he really likes me too. What should I do?

Wafiya the Book Worm from Surrey

Martha:

Dear Wafiya,

Run for your life! If he's pushing you into his religion he doesn't respect you and you will have nothing but heartache. Now that being said, I would still bake him up a batch of Peanut butter cookies. My favourite recipe is the one on the back of the Kraft peanut butter jar. 


Mary:

Oh hello fellow book worm! I just love books too!

First of all, I don't really bake... that's Martha. I do help her every so often though. Instead of baking, I would buy Verkade Cafe Noir and you can get them at the The Holland Shop in New Westminster.
As for the other matter my dear, I leave you with this excerpt from Max Lucado's book 'No wonder they call Him saviour'.

"It's a bit ironic that the burial of Jesus should be conducted, not by those who boasted they would never leave, but by two members of the Sanhedrin-- two representatives of the religious group that killed the Messiah.
But then again, of all who were indebted to this broken body, none were as much as these two. Many had been freed from the deep pits of slavery and sickness. Many had been found in the darkest of tunnels, tunnels of perversion and death. But no tunnel was ever darker than the tunnel from which these two had been rescued.
The tunnel of religion.
They don't come any darker. It's caverns are many and its pitfalls are deep. Its subterranean stench reeks with the spirit of good intentions. Its endless maze of channels are cluttered with the disoriented. Its paths are covered with cracked wine skins and split wine.
You wouldn't want to carry a young faith into this tunnel. Young minds probing with questions quickly stale in the numbing darkness. Fresh insights are squelched in order to protect fragile traditions. Originality is discouraged. Curiosity is stifled. Priorities are reshuffled.... Jesus had no room for those who specialized in making religion a warlord, and faith a foot race."

Jesus left us with these 2 commandments. One, to love God with our hearts, mind and soul; and two, to love one and other as He loves us. Christians do good works because we are saved, we don't do good works to be saved. When we love God with our heart, mind and souls he makes a change in our heart to do His will and that's to love one and other. These two are the most important rules. This is what separates Christianity (true Christianity) from all other religions including the 'religion' of Christianity that many people follow today. Be careful, be aware, keep reading, and love others as Christ loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment